About The Online Hab Bazaar
The OHB connects buyers and sellers of H3 Haberdashery in a central location that’s easy for everyone to find and share. It is a marketplace and not just a simple webstore… Buyers can purchase from several vendors at once, and vendors create their very own webstore within the marketplace platform with no up-front costs or subscription fees. It’s like Etsy, but better and just for us.
It’s simple. As a buyer you can purchase items from any number of vendors in one super smooth transaction, using a familiar e-commerce shopping cart and checkout experience. You will get confirmation emails, messages, updates, and alerts when your orders ship with tracking numbers (if applicable). Shop with confidence as your purchases are always 100% guaranteed (vs. sending via PP friends/family where you have no recourse if things do not end up going well).
As a vendor, you will have your own webstore within the Bazaar marketplace. The Online Hab Bazaar is free to sign up and list items, and there are no commitments and subscriptions. It is easier than handling any webstore hosting and payments processing subscriptions on your own, and, you’ll benefit hugely from visibility. Anytime someone is on the site looking specifically for another vendor’s products, they will be exposed to yours as well. Buyers routinely add additional products to their order in this way. We also often share specific vendors and products on our Facebook page to keep traffic to the Bazaar as high as possible.
You will have your own “Vendor Dashboard”, which provides many features to help keep you organized especially without having to mess with outside spreadsheets. It also provides you with powerful insights into sales data and tracking metrics. A full list of features are outlined below.
Submit an application to become a vendor at bit.ly/ohbsignup. Once approved, you’ll be able to get set up easily with the help of our very thorough knowledgebase and hands-on support if needed to help get up and running.
Fees and Features
Fees – Our philosophy:
Let’s face it. We all know that paying fees sucks, and that they can add up to take a decent cut into your earnings… especially if you make and sell stuff as a hobby. Here at The OHB, our goal is to provide a service that makes buying and selling Hab as awesome and easy an experience as possible for both buyers and sellers, and to make selling Hab online within reach of those who never thought it would work for them. This is not anyone’s retirement plan on the backs of hashers and hasher-owned businesses, but at the same time putting this together and maintaining it costs a lot. We’re committed to building the best platform we can… because Hab makes hashers happy, and happy hashers make the hash reach its full fun potential. 🙂
The total transaction fee is 5.9% + 30 cents from each order. The site commission is 3% to cover development, updates, and maintenance costs. Paypal gets the rest (2.9% + 30 cents). When withdrawing your earnings, Paypal charges a flat 25 cents.
- 3% of each transaction is a commission to support the Bazaar. Building the Bazaar was and continues to be expensive. This fee supports the costs already incurred as well as future development.
- Paypal charges the site 2.9% plus 30 cents per transaction, and this fee is added to the amount deducted. Vendors have no paypal transaction fees on their end.
- The Bazaar does not automatically disperse the net earnings, again due to paypal fees. Paypal charges a flat 25 cents to “withdraw” any amount from the Bazaar, and this fee is passed to the vendor at the time of withdrawal.
- Withdrawals can be made at any time, but waiting until at least $30 has accrued will limit the percentage impact of the 25 cent fee. Please note that your balance is held in a secure, business-only Paypal account with guaranteed payments and backups. There is no risk of losing your balance or the well being dry when you try to withdraw.
Selling items such as patches that benefit a charity:
- If you are selling items where 100% of the proceeds will benefit a legitimate charity, the Bazaar will offer to list your items at no site commission (normally 3%). Unfortunately we can’t also cover the cost of PayPal’s transaction fees.
- Commission percentages will be determined on a case by case basis for listings where less than 100% of the proceeds will benefit a charity.
Features – Why the Small Fees are Worth it:
The OHB will do our best to offer a service better than everyone else, tailored to hashers, and with comparable fees that we do our best to make absolutely worth it. Our marketplace is LOADED with features, and there are always more in development!
- A marketplace by hashers, for hashers. No random products cluttering up the site, meaning greater chances of products being added as impulse buys.
- Buyers purchase from multiple vendors at once and the system handles the rest.
- Gift Cards are sold and given away at events. Can be used for any and all vendors on the Bazaar, and the vendor receives the full amount.
Features for Vendors:
- Powerful vendor dashboard. Keep your orders organized and separate from your day-to-day.
- No more managing through Messenger with manual payments. Includes a post-order messaging system linked to each order. Handle issues, send proofs, and more.
- No more copying and pasting names and addresses from paypal emails to spreadsheets… print packing slips with addresses in one click.
- Automatically create invoices for you and your customers in one click.
- Enter tracking numbers and marked as shipped… your customers receive a professional email notification automatically.
- Advanced sales reports… track your sales over time, check on your store visits vs. sales to learn the interests of your customers.
- Getting the word out on The OHB Facebook page and more… the Bazaar is not successful unless you are!
- Hands-on support and assistance, to include setup.
- Variable Products – Colors, types, small and large, you name it.
- Quantity Discounts – “1-10 are $2 each, 11-20 are $1.50 each” – auto-calculated in cart.
- Special Offers – “Buy 10 get 1 free” – auto-calculated in cart.
- Pre-Order Management with reduced price before the date you set.
- Coupon Codes – Percent and fixed amounts off. Create as you wish.
- Advanced Product Options – Add radio buttons, checkboxes, choices that appear when specific options are selected, and much more.
- Custom Input Fields on your product listing. Input hash name, describe your project, and more.
- File Uploads on your product listing – Logo upload for customization, etc.
How we compare:
While there are no shareholders and world-wide commercial advertising, there is also not the huge volume that is usually associated with the big brands. With these considerations in mind, here is how we compare with your other options in terms of known pricing. Many of these options only offer very basic functionality and impersonal support, and that is something very important to consider along with price. Can you contribute to this list? Contact us at h3bazaar.com/contact to let us know!
Etsy: A similar format to The Online Hab Bazaar but with fewer features
- $0.20 to list an item. Automatically renews when item is sold or every 4 months, and multiplies by quantity.
- 5% of the sale price
- 5% of the shipping charged
- 3% plus $0.25 Payments Processing Fee
Sell $50 item + $5 shipping.
- Listing Fee: $0.20 [Assume just 1 item]
- Commission: $2.50
- Commission on shipping: $0.25
- Payments Processing Fee: $1.90
Total: $4.85 — 9.7% of $50
- 3% Commission: $1.50
- 2.9% +$0.30 Payments Processing Fee to Paypal: $1.75
- Flat Withdrawal Fee: $0.25
Total: $3.50 — 7% of $50
Shopify: Subscription-based single webstore
- Basic Subscription
- $29 monthly
- 2.9% + $0.30 Payment Processing Fee
- Standard Subscription
- $79 monthly
- 2.6% = $0.30 Payment Processing Fee
You pay no matter if it sells on Shopify, but assume $500 sales in a month over 20 $25 orders. Assume you withdraw 4 times from The OHB.
- Subscription: $29
- Payment Processing Fees: [ ($500 x 2.9%) + 20 x $0.30)]: $20.50
Total: $49.50 — 9.9% of $500
- 3% Commission: $15
- Payments Processing Fee to Paypal: $20.50
- Flat Withdrawal Fee [ 4 x $0.25 ]: $1
Total: $36.50 — 7.3% of $500 (but only if you actually sell that much)
Updated November 1st, 2018.